5 Tips for Preparing Gluten Free Meals
Since going Gluten Free in 2001, we (my husband and I, specifically) have discussed the Gluten Free lifestyle with hundreds of people. One of the most common questions we are asked is, “How do you cook gluten free?”
We are also asked, “How can you possibly eat anything if you don’t eat gluten?”
Preparing Gluten Free meals may take a bit more planning and time when you are new to the Gluten Free lifestyle. If you are cooking Gluten Free for a family member or friend, these tips are to help you as well. It will get easier to learn how to cook and bake Gluten Free.
Here are my 5 Tips for Preparing Gluten Free Meals
- Know which foods and byproducts contain gluten.
- Check the label on each item every time you purchase.
- Use non-contaminated cookware, utensils, serving ware, and equipment.
- Focus on naturally Gluten Free foods like produce which you can eat.
- Keep it simple and work your way up to making more difficult dishes like Beef Wellington.
Cooking and baking Gluten Free does not become second nature overnight. At least, it did not for me. It took me a long time to become used to not relying on the gluten-containing foods to make meals taste good.
Gluten Free foods (cooked and baked) can taste just as good – if not better – than their gluten-containing counterparts. It depends upon ingredients and techniques used as to how well Gluten Free foods turn out in your kitchen.
I would love to know about your experiences preparing Gluten Free meals. Please share below in comments. I answer each comment (except for the spam ones).